Critical for your pets travel
- You need to pre-plan all of your pets travel at least 3 months in advance, and have prepared all vaccinations and travel documents well in advance.
- You pay for your pets flight when you check them in to the airport
- You will get a cheaper flight for your pet if they are accompanying you on the same flight.
- When your pet travels in the cargo area, the cost will be based on the dimensions and weight of the pet in their travel kennel.
- Allow your pet to get used to the kennel before the flight. Five days is generally enough for an animal to get used to a kennel.
- Do not give your animal anything to drink at least 4 hours prior to departure.
- Attach a label with the animal’s name and feeding instructions to the side of the kennel.
- There are many regulations that surround bringing your pet on a flight. You need a specialist to make sure that all is in order, because pets can be turned away at check in when:
- The travel kennel is the wrong size, or a brand that is not allowed
- Any of the documents are not in order
- There are too many connections on your flight, or the connections are too long or too short (typically a pet flight cannot have more than one connection)
- If your pet appears sedated, aggressive or ill
- If your pet is too young or doesn’t have the required vaccinations
- If your pet isn’t checked in on time
- Or if there are any weather restrictions
- During extreme weather (hot or cold) you may find a flight is restricted for pet acceptance.
- Snub-nosed animals like pugs, boxers and bulldogs, pekinese as well as Persian cats face additional restrictions on most flights. They can have trouble breathing due to stress, the changes in temperature and the altitude, and many flights won’t accept certain snub-nosed breeds. Get in touch with us to find out more, and your options.
Moving your pet internationally requires many documents and vaccinations, a high attention to detail and lots of forward planning, which is where we come in. Just because people can fly on an airplane – doesn’t mean all companies let pets fly too, so talk to one of our experts and find out how we can make your pets international move hassle free.