There are special requirements to bring dogs and cats into Hong Kong, and the full details can be seen here.
Depending on the country of origin there are different quarantine requirements. Animals are grouped into three different countries, and Thailand is in Group III. You can see the list of exempt countries here. Pets imported from Group III countries are subject to a minimum 4 months quarantine at the Animal Management Center. To prevent infection of diseases to other animals in quarantine, pets are required to be fully vaccinated before arriving in Hong Kong and have sufficient antibody’s to prevent against diseases such as rabies. You can see the full terms for import here. You should book your pets stay at the quarantine center at least 3 months in advance.
Special permits are required for animal transshipments in Hong Kong, for when change of aircraft or mode of transport is done in Hong Kong. Special care must be taken to ensure importers are complying with the requirements at the place of destination.
- There are two sets of Special Permits that will be sent to the applicant. Keep the original (white) copy for the pick-up of your pet on arrival. The airline or shipping company may need you to produce a duplicate copy (the yellow set) before accepting to export your pet.
- If you don’t have a Special Permit or an Import Permit don’t arrange for the transportation of your pets.
- Pets which have been taken out of Hong Kong will be subject to the import and quarantine restrictions on their return to Hong Kong. You need to obtain all of the permits to bring them back into Hong Kong.
- It possible that animals with a questionable history, or showing signs of diseases from any country will face an extended quarantine period.
- If proper documentation is not produced your pets may be required to stay in a minimum 6-month quarantine at the importers expense or returned to the country of origin.
For disability assistance dogs and rescue dogs there are special circumstances, and please contact us so we can discuss your exact situation.